Saturday, September 11, 2010

Modding- My Opinion

Okay. If you're a regular to this blog, you will know that I say that I have done some modding. But all of these mods were external- eg. the Vulcan 50 belt and some other minor , and sometimes even cosmetic things. The first time I attempted an internals mod, I completely destroyed my Maverick, Air Restricters and all. But today I took a leap- and modded my Switchshot EX-3.

I chose this gun to modify to prove to myself that modding was possible, and in most cases, easy. I stared by removing the blaster component of the gun. This contained only 4 screws, so I undid these and opened 'er up. And I was pleasantly surprised. I was very simple, with only a catch, plunger and spring to worry about. I hoped to take out the Air Restricters. But the front portion were they were housed was glued shut.

I had heard about other modders that stretch the spring, as to increase the range. I tried to remove it, but the plunger end (I'm not sure what it's called was glued on as well. So I then resorted to stretching the spring , while it was still installed. I am happy to say, It worked perfectly, and now my gun shoots a good 7-10 feet further.

All in all, my second mod was very successful. I'm happy with the results, and I'm sure you will be to! Finally, I didn't post this as a modding guide, but more of a dialogue of my first real successful mod. I hope to post more of these in the future. One question- Do you have a Switchshot EX-3? and if you do, have you had a similar experience to me? Please feel free to comment and follow this blog!

3 comments:

  1. If you take a lighter, you can melt the glue without melting the plastic. You do this by just swipeing the flame under the glue. Have another person hold and pull on the housing and with some luck you can actually pul it apart! USE COMMEN SCENCE! Have a fire extinguisher handy or at least a bucket of water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I research guns i wanna mod ahead of time, so I know what I must do. It works, I guess, for I have succesfuly modded 3 recons, 2 raiders, and a maverick (idk what else ive modded).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your Switchshot loud when it fires? I AR removed mine, yet it seems just as quiet, if not quieter than before as wel as having excellent ranges. It could have been just the way I drilled it.

    ReplyDelete